TotalEnergies Starts Production at Nigeria’s Ikike Field

French energy major TotalEnergies starts production at Nigeria’s Ikike field, which is expected to reach peak output of 50,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day by the end of 2022. The EU has been scrambling to replace natural gas imports from Russia, and Nigeria has come under the spotlight as a potential source for additional gas supplies.

Located about 20 kilometers offshore and at a depth of almost 20 meters, the Ikike platform is tied back to the existing Amenam offshore facilities through a 13.5-km multiphase pipeline.

According to TotalEnergies, the Ikike project leverages existing facilities to keep costs low and is designed to minimize greenhouse gas emissions, which is estimated at less than 4kg CO2e/boe. It is expected to contribute to reducing the average carbon intensity of TotalEnergies’ upstream portfolio.

TotalEnergies Africa said it was pleased to start production at the field, which was launched a few months before the pandemic. “By tapping discoveries close to existing facilities, this project fits the company’s strategy of focusing on low-cost and low-emission oil projects,” the company added.

TotalEnergies started to make the final investment decision on the Ikike project in 2018. However, a year later reports surfaced that the company was working on sanctioning the development of this project.

TotalEnergies owns a 40% stake in Ikike. The remaining 60% belongs to Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, which was recently commercialized.

Need to access the insight?

Start your 7-day free trial now

Need to access the insight?

Start your 7-day free trial now

Need to access the insight?

Start your 7-day free trial now


Do you need to access special insights on this matter?

Start your 7-day free trial  and become a member today


Subscribe to Top Insights Today

Subscribe to Executive Newsletter Top Insights Today

The Executive Newsletter -Top Insights Today- puts global business events in perspective through special insights

Join the ranks of global executives and subscribe to Top Insights Today

Top Insights Today covers insights on energy, clean-tech, oil&gas, mining, rare earths, defense, aviation, infrastructure, manufacturing, electrical vehicles, big-tech, finance and politics of business

By clicking subscribe you agree to our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions of use.

Read more insights

UK to Extend Energy Price Cap as Fuel Stress Deepens

The British government revealed plans on Tuesday to extend the price cap on the most widely used domestic energy contracts beyond 2023, as part of its legislative plans for the year. 

Israel-UAE Oil Transport Deal Faces Resistance from Israel’s Ministry of Environment

An oil transport deal signed last year between Israel’s state owned Europe-Asia Pipeline Company (EAPC) and MED-RED Land Bridge, a part Israeli part Emirati company, creates ecological risks, according to Israel’s Environment Minister Tamar Zandberg. Israeli Government is evaluating the request, which will increase the amount of oil moved through Israel.   

Canada’s Barrick One Step Closer to Develop Pakistani Copper-Gold Mine

Toronto-based Barrick Gold announced on Monday it came one step closer to develop Pakistan’s Reko Diq copper-gold deposit after company CEO Bristow made a four day visit to the country, which finished with Pakistan’s President Alvi approving all necessary regulatory paperwork to start building the mine. Bristow said once the transaction is completed, the project will be owned 50% by Barrick, 25% by the province of Balochistan and 25% by Pakistan’s state owned enterprises (SOEs). 

Stay informed

error: This content is protected !!